Avocado Power In This Delicious Avocado Soup
Avocados are hugely beneficial to your health and many nutritionists will recommend that you add an avocado to your daily diet. There is a lot of evidence to indicate that eating avo’s may reduce the incidence of heart disease in people who consume it on a regular basis.
The Health Power of Avocados
These gorgeous little green gems are high in monounsaturated healthy fats that help to reduce the bad cholesterol in your system.
Since high cholesterol is one of the main risk factors in heart disease, a diet high in monounsaturated fatty acids will help cut your risk for coronary heart disease and stroke.
Not only are avo’s good for your heart but they are also high in vitamin E which helps to fight against the signs of ageing skin. Vitamin E is a fat soluble vitamin that, when incorporated into the cell membrane, helps to plump and rejuvenate the skin, making it look younger.
The South African Avocado Growers Association’s website offers some tasty Avo recipes. We’ve chosen this one as our favorite:
Cream of Avocado Soup
- 2 or 3 Ripe avocados, peeled and mashed
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 20 g Butter
- 100 g Onion – finely chopped
- 450 ml Milk – heated
- 25 ml Lemon juice
- 200 ml Cream
- White pepper – to taste
- 30 ml parsley – chopped
- Croutons for garnishing
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Simmer onion gently for 10 minutes or until soft – Not brown.
- Add chicken stock and bring to the boil.
- Stir in lemon juice, parsley, cream, milk, salt and pepper.
- Heat through and remove from heat. Fold in mashed avocado.
- NB! Do not boil once the avocado has been added
- Garnish with croutons and serve warm
Boost your immunity with better food choices. Follow the link to read how.