Chocolate Coconut Cream: Sweet, Rich Indulgence
Who said dessert cannot satisfy your sweet tooth and be absolutely delicious while also being good for you? With this ice-cream-like chocolate and coconut cream, your sweetness comes from the fibrous, heart-health-friendly dates, while the cacao powder gives your body a delicious dose of antioxidants, as well as a happy endorphin boost. Perfect for a post-workout treat!
- 1 x 400 ml (14oz) BPA-free tin of full-fat coconut milk, chilled in the fridge overnight
- 4.5 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted, or three tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- 100g (3.5oz) cacao nibs (at least 75% cacao solids or above)
- grain-free granola
- fresh berries, fruits or nuts
1. Line a loaf tin with foil
2. Blend together all the ingredients, except the cacao nibs, in a blender until completely smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust the sweetness by adding more dates or maple syrup, if necessary, then stir through the cacao nibs.
3. Pour into the prepared loaf tin (or ice cream moulds) and cover with foil. Leave to set for at least 4-6 hours, ideally overnight.
4. Remove from the freezer at least 15 minutes before serving, then enjoy.
About This Recipe
We extracted this recipe from the brand new book on nutrition and hormonal health by Angelique Panagos, called The Balance Plan.
Did you know?
While we’ve been taught not to overindulge in chocolate, there’s a reason the cacao bean made the list of South American superfoods – and dark chocolate can actually be good for you! Studies show that eating 45 grams of chocolate per week may lead to a 20% decrease in the risk of a stroke among women. Eating chocolate may also help lower risk of heart attacks by preventing blood clots. Click on the link to find out why dark chocolate should be on your grocery list.