Gourmet Peri-Peri Chicken Plate For Fancy Dining
This gourmet peri-peri chicken recipe was sent to us by the resident executive chef at the newly launched restaurant at Slow in the City, called The Course, and comprises of the chicken, tzatziki, tomato and fennel salsa, a freshly prepared glaze, micro herbs and lemon wedges to serve. It is perfect for when you really need to pull out all the stops for an important dinner, and it does require quite some time in preparation. You will find, however, that it is more than worth it every time.
For the tomato & fennel salsa
- 30ml extra virgin olive oil
- 190g tomato (diced)
- 130g red pepper (diced)
- 25ml red wine vinegar
- 70g fennel bulb and fronds
- 50g red onion
- 5g salt
- 50g honey
- 600g baby chicken
- 15g fresh coriander
- 20g crushed garlic
- 180g red onion finely chopped
- 20g ginger crushed
- 125ml peri-peri (mild)
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 60ml lemon juice
- 10g salt (coarse)
- pinch of black pepper
For the glaze:
- 50g salted butter
- 12g fresh coriander
- 14g garlic crushed
- 30g peri-peri
- 30g lemon
Method of preparation:
Start with the glaze. This can be done ahead of time: up to 1 day ahead. Make sure a portion of the glaze is heated separately to be poured over during plating
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add coriander and garlic; cook until garlic begins to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add peri-peri sauce and lemon juice. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 2 minutes. Cover and chill. Rewarm before using.
Next, do the salsa.
- Ensure the tomato and red pepper is de-seeded and diced in a brunoise-style.
- Slice the fennel bulb into thin slices, and chop the fennel fronds into small pieces.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Add honey, salt, olive oil and red wine vinegar. Taste to check seasoning.
- Combine all the veg together as mies en place and add the honey, olive oil and red wine vinegar during plating.
Complete the plate’s elements with the chicken.
- Finely chop coriander, ginger, shallot, and garlic in processor.
- Add peri-peri sauce, 1/4 cup oil, lemon juice, coarse salt, and pepper. Process marinade to blend.
- Place chicken, skin side up, on work surface. Using palm of hand, press on breastbone to flatten chicken. Tuck wing tips under.
- Pour half of marinade into a small dish. Open chicken like book; place skin side down in single layer in dish. Pour remaining marinade over. Cover; chill at least 4 hours or overnight, turning chicken occasionally.
- Place the chicken in a 180 °C oven for 45-50 minutes. Chicken must be cooked through.
- Place the chicken on the coal grill and baste with the glaze to flavour the chicken.
- Season with salt and coarse pepper.
Need to know: once you have prepared the salsa, chicken and glaze, follow the guidelines below on how to plate this recipe perfectly.
- Place the tomato and fennel salsa across the plate
- Place the peri-peri chicken on top
- Add the glaze over the chicken
- Top with micro herbs
- Add lemon or lime cheeks and about 30g tzatziki.
Want to find out more? Click here to find out how eating tomatoes can help to lower stroke risk.
Click here to find out which foods help prevent brain shrinkage.