Tacos Trio With Salsa, Guacamole And Greek Yoghurt
Recently, Come Dine With Me South Africa shared some of their best recipes with Longevity, and we picked out our favourites for our readers, knowing you will love this Mexican-inspired trio of tacos. With this recipe, your guests will be able to decide for themselves which fillings they prefer with their tacos, and they can easily customize it to their liking.
- 5 Chicken breasts / 1 roll Chorizo/ 300g Steak strips – browned in onions and spice with some lemon juice
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, quartered
- 1 small red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 500g sweetcorn
- 2 tsp lemon juice good pinch of chilli flakes
- 2 medium ripe avocados, stoned, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 2 onions, ends trimmed, finely chopped
- chilli flakes
- 12 tortillas
- Greek yogurt/sour cream
- Lettuce shredded
- Chopped tomatoes
Method for these tacos:
1. Mix the oil with the cumin and paprika on a large plate. Sit the chicken, prawn and steak strips on the plate and rub with the spiced oil. Season with pepper and a pinch of salt, then cover and set aside while you prepare the salsa.
2. Heat the grill too high for 10 mins. Line a large baking tray with foil and lay the tomatoes (cut-side up) on it, along with the pepper and red onion. Brush the oil over the onion, and season the tomatoes and onion with pepper. Grill for 12-15 mins, turning the tomatoes and onion halfway through, until well charred. Remove (leaving the grill on) and set aside to cool – put the pepper in a bowl and cover with cling film so that it’s easier to skin later.
3. For the guacamole, mash the avocado in a bowl, leaving some chunky pieces for texture. Gently mix in the lime juice, spring onions, coriander and chili flakes. Season with pepper and a pinch of salt.
4. Re-line the baking tray with foil and lay the chicken, prawns and steak strips on it, plump-side up. Grill for about 10 mins until cooked – there is no need to turn it. Meanwhile, scoop out and discard as much of the seeds and juice from the tomatoes as you can (so the salsa isn’t too wet), leaving the pulp and charred skin. When the pepper is cool enough to handle, peel off and discard the skin. Chop the tomatoes and onion, and dice the pepper. Combine in a bowl with the lime juice, cumin, chilli flakes, some pepper and a pinch of salt.
5. When the chicken, prawn and steak strips are cooked, remove from the grill, cover loosely with foil and set aside for 5 mins.
6. Heat oven to 180 oC. Cut the chicken, prawn and steak strips into chunky slices and spoon over the juices. When ready to serve, lay the tortillas on a baking sheet and warm through for 2-3 mins.
7. Serve the chicken, prawns, steak strips, tortillas, yogurt, lettuce, coriander and lime wedges in separate bowls, to allow guests to build their own tacos. Click here to find out how yoghurt can reduce the risk for diabetes.
Click here to find out why avocados should definitely be a part of your diet from now on.