The Best Remedies to Recover from Holiday Indulgence
Christmas and New Years is a time for celebration, which makes it almost impossible to not ‘go all out’. But after a week of overindulgence you may start to feel a little like a beached whale. Don’t worry there are a few simple tricks to get you back on track. Supporting your liver, gut and detoxification are the best anti-aging moves to start the New Year.
The liver works hard over the festive season. A little support could make the world of difference to your energy levels, metabolism, hormone balance, skin and of course your digestive system. Drinking fresh lemon juice or a teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar and warm water first thing will give your liver a healthy kick start to the day. The following are a choice of common herbal remedies used to support the liver:
- Artichoke (cynarin) is gently yet effective in providing exceptional regeneration within the liver. It helps remove toxins and prevent gallstones by stimulating bile production and flow.
- Milk Thistle (silymarin) has been used for over two thousand years and today we have clinical evidence to show how it improves liver function and repairs liver damage. Milk thistle helps with the detoxification of poisons such as alcohol, as well as stimulating bile production, and improving digestion.
- Dandelion is far from just a weed. This safe herb is not only packed with vital nutrients, but it also stimulates the production of bile and bile flow. Herbalists often use dandelion root to help fight fatty liver, cirrhosis, oestrogen dominance and even acne.
Rebalance Your Gut
Happy gut, happy you. Here are soothing remedies for your digestive system:
- Digestive enzymes are needed to break down our food and tell the nutrients where to go in the body. Enzymes are also important in helping the body detoxify pathogens. After days of celebratory food, ones reserves of enzymes may be quite depleted. Taking digestive enzyme supplements with each meal will boost your enzyme levels back to a healthy balance.
- Probiotics are the best tool to recover from ‘naughty food’. Apart from being essential for the digestion of food, probiotics eliminate the pathogens accumulated from decadent food. Probiotics supplements (preferably live liquid not transient) can be a quick and easy mood lifter. They rebuild your healthy gut bacteria, to re-establish the immune system, quality sleep and hormone balance. Science now shows us that depression can be linked to the gut. Good bacteria in the intestines produce 95% of the happy hormone serotonin, plus these probiotics can help prevent brain inflammation found in cases of depression. All in all probiotics are a post party must! Make sure you buy a good quality probiotic and ensure the ingredients are live and need to be refridgerated.
- Heartburn is not what you need during the holidays. Contrary to out-dated medical theories, heartburn is not caused by high stomach acid, but it is in fact caused by low stomach acid. Betaine hydrochloride is a common supplement that can be taken to get your stomach acid back to a healthy level needed to break down your food and kill of pathogenic bacteria; thus alleviating heartburn.
- The Mistakes of Eating Late. The holidays are filled with social excitement, which can often result in supper being eaten pretty late at night. After a few late meals one’s belly may begin to feel bloated and sluggish. The easiest way to press the reset button is to begin eating your evening meal before 7.30pm. Late in the evening our stomach enzymes begin to rapidly decline, readying the body for rest and regeneration. The body cannot digest food while we are sleeping therefore late meals just sit in your digestive tract compromising our natural nigh time, regenerative process. This can easily leave one feeling stuffed and bloated the next day.
Quick Gentle Detoxification
Clearing out the toxins will leave you feeling a whole lot lighter, clearer and \enthusiastic about life. The following are a few gentle yet effective detox remedies:
- Zeolite has amazing and gentle detoxification ability. Often when we try and kick toxins out of our body they can reactivate within our bloodstream making us feel rather horrible. Zeolite is a form of volcanic ash that not only magnetizes pathogenic molecules it actually encages them and escorts them out of your body. Zeolite also improves liver function plus it appears to block viral replication, and may prove to be a potent anti-viral and general remedy for all viruses. Zeolite creates a natural buffer in the system by establishing an optimal pH level.
- MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) is a biologically available form of sulphur. MSM is great for detoxification as it improves your bodies ability to produce its own antioxidants. It also produces glutathione to fight free radicals and protect you from oxidative stress damage. We also need organic sulphur for the liver to conduct sulfation, a process of breaking down old hormones for elimination. MSM also increases the permeability of your cells helping to flush out excess fluids and toxins. Sulphur also produces collagen for connective tissue health including flexible skin. On top of all that, it increases the quality and growth of our hair.
- Fulvic Acid is an ingredient from the soil that is present in the highest quality organic vegetables. It is highly effective at neutralising and detoxifying harmful toxins and pollutants including heavy metals. Fulvic Acid bonds with toxins and then converts them into inactive compounds, which can be eliminated through normal excretory processes. This biochemical acid has the added bonus of being able to enhance the absorption of all nutrients we consume as well as oxygenating our tissue.