Give your body a boost to kick-start a healthy 2014
To boost your body’s cleansing systems, Megan Bosman, a Cape Town based nutritional therapist advises that you think “clean eating” – a good amount of fresh fruit and vegetables which are high in fibre, antioxidants and phytochemicals help to cleanse your body and boost the organs involved in detoxing (such as your liver) in a safe, controlled manner. Combine this with a decent amount of clean water and your body will be well on its way to a well-functioning cleansing system.
Boost your body’s systems
Top 8 foods that detox your body
- Not only are they a great breakfast meal but oats are a rich source of both soluble and insoluble fibre. Enjoy this oats recipe.
- Beetroot is a great support for liver detoxification. High in magnesium, iron and vitamin C, beetroot has also recently been hailed as a superfood due to its many health benefits.
- Garlic is not only great for fighting colds and flu. It contains a chemical called allicin, which helps promote the production of white blood cells which also helps to fight against toxins.
- Cabbage, like most other cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale, etc.), contains a chemical called sulforaphane, which helps the body fight against and get rid of toxins.
- Fresh, seasonal fruit are high in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fibre, which make them a very important in detoxification.
- Green tea is an excellent source of antioxidants, one of which is catechins. Catechins are great for boosting your liver function, which is exactly what you want.
- Lemons are high in vitamin C, which helps your body to convert toxins into a water-soluble form that can be easily eliminated from your body. Lemons also help to boost your liver function and cleanse your blood.
- Water helps to lubricate the body, loosen and flush out toxins in your body.