Fitness: Get Fit With Your Ultimate Exercise Playlist
Having figured out that men and women exercise to different tunes to help them break through the pain barrier and motivate them, Dr Costas Karageorghis of Brunel University has created the ultimate fitness soundtrack.
The playlist is said to be based on the global popularity of tracks together with music that is proven to make you work harder, based on their tempo (bpm), style and lyrical content.
Dr Costas Karageorghis said: “When synching your movements to the beat of the music, increase the intensity of your workout by raising the music tempo by one or two BPMs beyond your comfort zone – this will increase your work-rate with the added benefit that the difference in effort will be almost imperceptible.”
He added that: “A suitably motivational playlist can help to ‘colour’ the symptoms of exercise-related fatigue, like breathlessness and a beating heart, in such a way that they are interpreted in a more positive manner. This means that at the point when your body is shouting ‘STOP’, the music has the power to lift your mood and beckon you on. This is why your choice of music for exercise has important implications for how likely you are to stick to a New Year exercise regime.”
Time to get downloading!
The Ultimate Fitness Playlist:
1. Roar – Katy Perry – 92 BPM (Mental preparation)
2. Talk Dirty – Jason Derulo ft 2 Chainz – 100 BPM (Stretching)
3. Skip To The Good Bit – Rizzle Kicks – 105 BPM (Stretching)
4. Get Lucky – Daft Punk ft Pharrel Williams – 116 BPM (Aerobic/Warm up)
5. Move – Little Mix – 120 BPM (Aerobic/Warm up)
6. Need U 100% – Duke Dumont ft A*M*E – 124 BPM (Cardio training, low intensity)
7. You Make Me – Avicii – 125 BPM (Cardio training, low intensity)
8. Feel My Rhythm – Viralites – 128 BPM (Cardio training, moderate intensity)
9. Timber – Pitbull ft Ke$ha – 130 BPM (Cardio training, moderate intensity)
10. Applause – Lady Gaga – 140 BPM (Cardio training, high intensity)
11. Can’t Hold Us – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft Ray Dalton – 147 BPM (Cardio training, very high intensity)
12. Happy – Pharrell williams – 160 BPM (Cardio training, very high intensity)
13. The Monster – Eminem ft Rihanna – 110 BPM (Strength training)
14. Love Me Again – John Newman – 126 BPM (Strength training)
15. Get Down – Groove Armada ft Stush and Red Rat – 127 BPM (Strength training)
16. #thatPOWER – will.i.am ft Justin Bieber – 128 BPM (Strength training)