Avocado Chocolate Mousse: It Sounds Wrong But It Tastes Right
We understand that the idea of an avocado chocolate mousse may not sound particularly appealing. But we just ask you give this healthy dessert alternative one go before you judge. Not only will your taste buds be sold, but you can keep healthy and happy whilst scooping up this indulgent treat.
Avocados a great source of mono-unsaturated fats know for keeping your heart healthy. They also contain vitamin E, folic acid and selenium – making them an ideal food source for promoting healthy skin (1), healthy organ function from a cellular level (2) and a well functioning immune system. (3)
Why we love this avocado based recipe
It’s pretty incredible that such simple, humble ingredients can be whipped into a healthy yet decadent chocolate dessert. What do you have to lose by trying it?
Not only is this plant-based chocolate alternative packed with healthy fats. It is an ideal alternative for vegans. And it also doesn’t contain any major allergens such as cow’s milk, egg, soya, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat/gluten.
Serves: 4 people
Preparation: 15 minutes
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 ripe banana
- Zest of one orange
- Juice of one orange
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp xylitol
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pip from the centre and discard. Remove and discard the skin too.
- In a food processor, add the avocado, banana, cocoa powder and xylitol. From there, add the orange zest and juice and blend the mixture until completely smooth and dark chocolate-brown.
- Spoon the mousse into four glasses for serving and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with fresh fruit and enjoy.
- Adjust the sweetness and darkness by adding more or less xylitol and cocoa powder.
- Substitute the xylitol with honey, or stevia for a lower-calorie option.
- Substitute the orange with cinnamon or lemon zest for a bit of variation.
Recipe by Vanessa Marx