Trouble Sleeping? Try This Breathing Technique
Are you overwhelmed by anxiety? Do you rely on over the counter medication to fall asleep? Does your body get the sleep it needs? If any of this sounds all too familiar, perhaps trying this breathing technique will help get to bed sooner, without any meds and get the necessary sleep your body requires.
The exercise is called the 4-7-8 technique. Dr Andrew Weil, a medical doctor, teacher and best-selling author on holistic health, and director of the Arizona Centre for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona calls it a “natural tranquilizer for the nervous system”.
Numerous studies have linked meditation to lowered stress levels, and this easy-to-follow exercise will help you reap some of the de-stressing benefits that come with meditation.
Dr Weil recommends performing this exercise whenever dealing with a stressful situation. The next time you can’t curb sugar cravings, get into a fight with your partner, or can’t hit the hay because you’re overwhelmed, try this out.
Here’s how to do it:
- Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
- This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat three more times for a total of four cycles.
Watch the video below for more information on the exercise:
Breathe Your Stress Away! Follow the link for more breathing advice.