All-Natural Skinny Blueberry Muffins
Bursting with sweet blueberries and packed with natural fibre and whole-grain goodness, these muffins are moist and full of flavor. This recipe comes from The Food Effect by Michelle Braude. We recently tried out the muffins for our office ourselves and were pleasantly surprised by the results!
Makes 10–12 medium-sized muffins
- 100g uncooked rolled oats
- 140g whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 125g coconut sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 240ml skimmed or soya milk
- 115g natural apple sauce
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 150g blueberries (fresh or frozen*)
*If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw them before adding to the batter.
Instructions for this recipe:
1. Preheat oven to 180 ºC/Gas 4.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl, and the remaining ingredients in another.
3. Combine the two and stir together. Mix until just fully combined; do not over-mix.
4. Pour the batter into a greased muffin tray or muffin tray lined with silicone or paper cases, filling each until three-quarters full. Bake for 20–25 minutes, until firm and springy to touch, or until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean.
The muffins can be stored in an airtight container or Ziploc bag for several days, or frozen to be enjoyed whenever you fancy.
What you should know about fibre
Firstly, fibre is only found from plant food sources. Typically fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds. Usually, it is an important part of our diets and it does more than just aid digestion. Fibre is broken down into two categories, soluble and insoluble. And all plant food sources contain both.
Soluble fibre dissolves into the water surrounding it in your digestive system and has numerous benefits including reducing your levels of blood cholesterol.
Insoluble fibre cannot dissolve in water. It actually passes through your gut without breaking down. The objective of this is to help other foods pass through your digestive system more easily. Click here to find out more about this.