Summer Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie Bowl Recipe Bliss
Summer sweet potato pie would hit the spot right now if I had it. With the warmest season now in full swing and all that cooking inspiration after Memorial Day, we can’t let that creative cooking flare slide. Now that the weather is hot and sunny, and we want to look good in those bathing suits we need to eat food that’s going to nourish our bodies.
When there’s that happy, summer feeling running through our veins, it sparks a ton of new-found creativity, inspiration, and curiosity to try out something different. That’s why when I stumbled upon this deliciously scrumptious sweet potato pie smoothie bowl recipe, I had to share it with you too. I love sweet potatoes and since we can’t always indulge in the sugary pie version…We can be smart, and recreate the same taste but in smoothie form.
Not only will you want to gobble this smoothie bowl down on a hot summer sweet morning. You will also be happy to make it because it’s really easy to do and takes very little time, especially if you precook your sweet potato.
Summer Sweet Potato Benefits
No matter what time of the year it is, it’s always a good time to eat sweet potato. The best thing about this vegetable is its versatility and how you can use it for pretty much anything. Don’t be boring and only eat it as a baked potato.
As you all know, sweet potatoes are filled with tons of nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They are great for preventing cancer and apparently support healthy vision as well. In addition, they’re incredible for improving your gut health and keeping you fuller for longer. In fact, studies have found that antioxidants in purple sweet potatoes promote the growth of healthy gut bacteria, including certain Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus species.
Reportedly, large amounts of these types of bacteria within the intestines are associated with better gut health and a lower risk of conditions like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and infectious diarrhea.
Sweet potatoes are also fantastic for boosting your memory and reducing inflammation due to their high antioxidant properties. This is a summer sweet vegetable that we cannot live without.
Summer Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie Bowl Recipe
If you are someone who needs to be out of the house quickly in the mornings then I’d highly recommend preparing your sweet potato the night before. This is very easy. You can bake it in the oven along with your dinner or steam it which is even quicker. Sometimes I like to cook sweet potato with my dinner and then use the leftover to make a smoothie bowl the next day.
However, this recipe is very easy to follow. If you don’t have a specific ingredient then you can also leave it out or swap it with something else. I’d like to thank Clean Eating Mag for this amazing summer, sweet recipe inspiration!
- ¼ cup whole grain rolled oats
- A ¼ cup chopped unsalted pecans, almonds, peanuts or sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup, raw honey or molasses, divided
- 1 tsp coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups frozen mango chunks
- ¾ cup roasted, peeled and mashed sweet potato
- A ½ cup of coconut milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or protein powder
- ¼ tsp each ground nutmeg and cinnamon
You can finish off this delicious summer sweet smoothie bowl by topping it with some sliced coconut, hemp or chia seeds, fresh berries, ground cherries, kumquats, nuts, fresh mint or basil.
1. Preheat your oven to 375˚F. Take out a baking tray and line it with parchment paper. If you didn’t get a chance to cook your sweet potato beforehand then I would highly recommend popping it in the oven on high to bake whilst you get dressed or steam it quickly. It’s best to roast your sweet potato because trust me when I say this, the flavor really pops!
2. Take out a small bowl and start to combine the oats, nuts, sweeteners, and oil. Once you have done this, spread the mixture onto the prepared sheet and bake until golden for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring once. Let cool completely.
3. Get out your high-speed blender and add the mango, sweet potato, coconut milk, vanilla, remaining 1 tbsp sweetener, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Blend it all up until smooth.
4. Divide mixture between 2 chilled bowls; sprinkle evenly with the oat mixture. Now you can add your toppings of choice.
If you’re not sure how to prepare mashed sweet potato, then all you need to do is scrub 1 large skin-on sweet potato. Take a fork and prick it several times. Place your potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and roast in a 400˚F oven until a sharp knife slides easily into the center, for 45 to 60 minutes. If you want to speed this process up, you can also steam the potato as it is a lot quicker than baking it. Once your sweet potato is cool enough to touch, then cut it in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh. Mash the flesh with a fork until smooth.
This is one of the tastiest summer sweet smoothie bowls you will find! Give it a try and let’s all continue this creative and healthy cooking for summer trends.
Crazy mushroom magic is a real thing and has hit the US market by storm! Who knew that mushrooms would become so popular?