Home-Made Energy Bars: Healthy And Wholesome
These bars are chewy, filling and delicious. They’re also packed with protein, fibre and heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. Vegans can also enjoy them, as they contain no animal products, dairy or gluten. Best of all, they are free from refined sugar and sweetened naturally!
Makes 8 bars
- 125 uncooked porridge oats (if required, ensure the oats you use is gluten-free)
- 140g unsalted almonds
- 16 Medjool dates, with the stones removed
- 20g desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- 3 tbsp agave syrup or sweetener of choice
- 1/2 tsp almond or vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
- 120ml water
Method of preparation for the energy bars:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
2. Process the oats and almonds in a food processor until finely ground and crumbled. Add the dates, coconut, agave (or alternative) syrup, and almond or vanilla essence and salt, then process again.
3. Add the water slowly, while you process the ingredients until a thick, sticky, cohesive batter forms.
4. Spray or grease a 20cm square baking pan and line with baking paper. Spread batter evenly in the pan and press down well with a spatula so that it is firmly packed.
5. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the pan and allow to cool.
6. Remove the paper with its contents onto a flat surface, then cut into 8 bars.
This delicious recipe has been extracted from Dr Michelle Braude’s new book on nutrition, The Food Effect. Click here to find out more about the book and follow her on Instagram at @thefoodeffectdr.
Want to know more?
Our diet affects our energy levels with the wrong type of foods being draining and leaving us feeling lethargic and lazy. When your energy levels drop, you’ll likely grab a meal or a quick snack to give yourself a boost. Unfortunately, choosing the wrongs foods could leave you void of energy and having you feeling tired and lazy.
If you experience that your lethargic state has little to do with lack of sleep and more to do with diet choices, click on the link to find out which foods you should be cutting out.