Your Ultimate Mediterranean Salad Bowl
Here we go again, sounding just like a Greek granny, telling her grandkids to eat up on the fresh food on the table. Why do we always hammer on all things Mediterranean?
Because they work, that’s why. Not only that, it is all-round effective, not only for you gut and diet, but also for your heart health, skin and hair, hormones and stress levels, as well as sustained energy. So why would you not want to have a staple, go-to delicious salad recipe, the likes of which will have you feeling like you’ve just set off on a Mediterranean island holiday? Here we collected all the very best ingredients to set up the ultimate Mediterranean salad bowl that you can whip up for any occasion, and always know you and your guests will be left feeling amazing – that’s just what Med food does.
P.S. if you had to buy the figs at the grocer, instead of simply picking them fresh off the trees by the side of the road – like a true island-inhabitant would – we won’t tell.
30 minutes | serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 200g cooked cous-cous
- 2 cups cubed butternut
- 1 red pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup sun dried tomato quarters
- 2 aubergines, sliced into thin strips or cubed, depending on your preference.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 100g crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup fresh figs
- 50g pomegranate arils
- 10 pitted Kalamata olives
For the salad dressing
- 75 ml olive oil
- 15 ml lemon juice
- 10 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp rough sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1. Add the butternut, pepper and tomato quarters to a oven dish and sprinkle with half of the olive oil and salt. Bake for 20 mins at 180°C (160°C fan, gas 4). When there is 5 minutes left before you need to remove the dish, add the chickpeas on top and have them bake the remainder of the time. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
2. While the dish is in the oven, fry the aubergines in the remaining olive oil until tender. Add the lemon juice last and allow it to soak in. Remove from the pan and let cool slightly.
3. In a big bowl or dish, combine the ingredients and mix well. Garnish with the feta, figs, pomegranate arils and olives.
4. For the salad dressing, mix all the ingredients in a small bottle, shaking well. Drizzle it over the salad and serve.